Why are Microsoft automatic updates hanging in Windows XP?
- System freezes when attempting to run Windows automatic update
If you are experiencing slow performance from your Windows XP computer while downloading and installing automatic Windows updates, your issue may be resolved by manually updating Microsoft Internet Explorer 8. To do so, follow the steps below:
- If you are not able to access the Internet on your computer because of this issue, restart your computer.
- Disable Windows automatic updates.
- Download and install the following update for Microsoft Internet Explorer 8:
- Restart your computer.
- Re-enable Windows automatic updates.
If after performing the steps above you are still not able to receive automatic Windows updates, please contact Microsoft Support for further assistance.