What's new in ESET Security Management Center (7.x)
- New features in ESMC 7
- Important information about upgrading to the latest version of ESMC
ESET Security Management Center (ESMC) was released August 16th, 2018, and includes many new and improved features. ESMC is the new name and replaces the version 6 product ESET Remote Administrator.
Current version: 184.108.40.206
ESET Security Management Center is an enterprise-grade security management solution providing visibility, management and reporting across all OSes.
The list below contains information about some of the important new features in the released version of ESET Security Management Center (ESMC).
- Flexible Install—ESET Security Management Center can be installed on Windows, Linux or via Virtual Appliance. After installation, all management is done via a web console, allowing easy access and management from any device or operating system.
- Name and User Interface (UI) updates—ESMC is the new name for the ESET remote management and will replace ESET Remote Administrator version 6. Many changes were made both functionally and visually, including a number of important updates to the UI.
Completely Multi-Tenant—Multiple users and permission groups can be created to allow access to a limited portion of the ESMC instance. This allows full streamlining of responsibilities across large enterprise teams.
Hardware and software inventory—Not only does ESMC report on all installed software applications across an organization, it also reports on installed hardware. This allows you to do more from a single location by dynamically grouping computers based off make, model, OS, processor, ram, HD and many more items.
Fully-customizable Report and Notification System—The notification system features a full WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor where you can fully configure notifications to be alerted on the exact information you want to be notified about. Reports include over 170+ built-in reports, and custom reports can be created easily and quickly.
- Fully Automated VDI Support—A comprehensive hardware detection algorithm is used to determine the identity of the machine based on its hardware. This allows automated re-imaging and cloning of non-persistent hardware environments. Therefore, ESET support for VDI requires no manual interaction and is fully automated.
For a detailed list of improvements and changes, see the topic New features, or for differences between ESMC version 7 and ERA version 6 see the topic What is new in ESET Security Management center 7.0.
Click the appropriate link below to view details about system requirements and supported operating systems:
- Hardware requirements for ESET Security Mangement Center
- Support database servers
- Supported operating systems
Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions about ESET Security Mangement Center:
How do I install ESMC?
See the following Knowledgebase article: Getting started with ESET Security Management Center
Do I have to pay to upgrade ERA to ESMC?
No, ESET customers with a valid business product license can upgrade to ESMC 7 for free.
How to upgrade ERA to the latest version?
See the following Knowledgebase article: Upgrade ESET Remote Administrator 6.3 and later to ESET Security Management Center 7
See the following Knowledgebase article for Known Issues in version 7 business products: Known Issues in ESET Security Management Center
ESET provides support in the form of User Guides, fully localized application help, online Knowledgebase, and applicable to your region, chat, email or phone support.
ESET Security Management Center Online Help contains comprehensive reference information for system settings, configurations, installation scenarios and more.
ESMC Installation/Upgrade contains content for the installation process, upgrade procedures and using the migration tool.
ESMC Administration contains content for how to manage and configure ESMC, including post-installation tasks and licenses.
Virtual Appliance Deployment contains content for deploying ESMC in a virtualized environment.
- ESMC Installation/Upgrade contains content for the installation process, upgrade procedures and using the migration tool.
Visit www.eset.com/contact to email ESET technical support or contact your local ESET partner for support.
For other questions, such as troubleshooting, FAQs and tutorial videos, you can search the ESET Knowledgebase.
- For ESMC and version 7 business product videos, see the ESET Knowledgebase YouTube channel.
- Added: Specific warning dialog on installations with installed ERA proxy about the steps needed to migrate the infrastructure to the new replication protocol
- Added: Option to activate Android devices using offline license file
- Added: One-click navigation to Enterprise Inspector from EEI reported threats
- Added: Option to choose multiple filters at once
- Added: Paging for “Submitted files” page
- Changed: Detection of installed compatible Java version does not require Oracle Java. A user can manually choose existing installations of different Java versions, including free JDK or Amazon Coretto
- Changed: Increased threshold to display 1000 groups in the group tree
- Changed: Ability to generate All-in-one installer without a license (removed validator that was added in ESMC 7.0)
- Changed: Mobile enrollment workflow now requests EULA acceptance
- Changed: All-in-one installer on Windows now warns when attempting to run it on incompatible operating system
- Changed: Removed “Pending restart check” from the Software Installation task logic
- Improved: Android enrollment process only needs the enrollment link to be clicked once
- Fixed: It´s not possible to recover the iOS device from the lost mode after issuing the Find command from ESMC.
- Fixed: Not all files are being removed from the installation directory after uninstallation of MDM Connector.
- Fixed: Problem with the old version of MDM being still reported as installed after an upgrade, despite being correctly upgraded to the latest version due to the duplicated registry entries.
- Fixed: MDM Connector crashes upon loading HTTPS certificate.
- Fixed: Ability to upgrade from ERA / ESMC using the Component upgrade task
- Fixed: ESMC Server service crashing after deleting Dynamic Groups
- Fixed: Missing one-click action for alert “Windows updates available”
- Fixed: Tooltips do not show in the ESMC main menu, when in collapsed state
- Fixed: Issue after upgrade from ERA agent to ESMC agent results in a state where both applications are reported as installed
- Fixed: Various broken agent upgrades
- Fixed: Issues with ESMC server losing connections from agents
- Fixed: Notifications do not send with NOR/NAND operators
- Fixed: MDM Core modules cannot be updated resulting in a “recent update attempts failed” status
- Fixed: Secondary IP address of the device is displayed in the Web Console
- Fixed: Data is missing or incorrectly reported to Syslog for ESET Endpoint Inspector alarms
- Fixed: Issue when applied policy on MDM prevents upgrade
- Fixed: Issue when future planned tasks are not executed unless computer is restarted
- Fixed: Status overview chart does not render automatically if you change tabs
- Fixed: Other fixes and stability improvements
- Fixed: Various product localization issues reported after the release
Version 220.127.116.11 (compared to version 6.5)
- Added: Automatic detection of “machine cloning” by a sophisticated hardware fingerprint detection to allow automatic resolving of cloning and advanced setup of environment for native support of VDI and golden master image environment
- Added: New section that details which files were submitted to ESET LiveGrid® or ESET Dynamic Threat Defense (either manually, or automatically)
- Added: DB info in “About” screen
- Added: Enhanced filtering options by product name, version, number of alerts, policies, threats and many other options (autocomplete is available for some report input fields such as installed software, version or Operating System
- Added: ESET Products dashboard as well as all reports where ESET applications are reported, now includes “one-click upgrade” option, even from aggregated data
- Added: Expand all / collapse all option in Reports screen
- Added: Extended options for filtering for specific values, for example, to select values reported in the Database by Operating System, Installed Applications and others
- Added: You can set exclusions (by Hash) directly into policies from the footer and the details for each file display what was submitted, when, and the results of the submission
- Added: Full-text search for reports screen is available by typing any substring from each name / description
- Added: You can drill-down the Group details screen that shows the aggregated view on parent / children, as well as the summary (computers, alerts, unresolved threats, tasks, policies)
- Added: Hardware Inventory – ESET Management Agent now collects information about installed hardware from Windows, Mac and Linux systems.
- Added: In Computer details, “applicable dynamic groups” are also shown under “device info”
- Added: Information about “current detection engine version“ was added as well as calculated SHA1 value
- Added: You can create an exclusion into policy with one click
- Added: You can filter Threats Screen by cause, threat type, scan, scanner and define more granular criteria for the time filter in threats
- Added: You can initiate a scan with cleaning with one click, targeting only a desired path that will mark the threat as resolved (automatically) and verify whether the infection is still present
- Added: You can initiate manual submission of a file to ESET Dynamic Threat Defense from threat details
- Added: Native support for the new products ESET Enterprise Inspector (EEI) (mutual resolving of alarms, EEI deployable via repository, policies for EEI agent), ESET Dynamic Threat Defense (EDTD) (corresponding ESMC UI section, policies section, license handling, reporting) and Endpoint version 7 (ransomware shield)
- Added: “Incident Overview” dashboard that provides navigation to detected/reported threats with one click and an overview of unresolved threats including their severity, detection method, resolution status and top 10 computers/users with incidents
- Added: “Overview“ dashboard, with suggested steps (when empty), one-click navigation and RSS feed integration (We Live Security and Product Release News)
- Added: “Remove computer from management“ wizard that displays the steps needed to remove the selected computer from management
- Added: New columns in the computers view for number / highest severity of alerts, cloning questions and hardware detection reliability status (relevant for automatic detection of cloning)
- Added: Filter to “hide not-assigned policies”
- Added: New hardware / OS info tile and links to hardware inventory section (details/hardware)
- Added: Predefined policies for optimal usage of ESET Live Grid, and updates to existing recommended templates for “Maximum protection”
- Added: Report template categories added for Enterprise Inspector, Dynamic Threat Defense, Hardware Inventory, Cloning Detection and other categories were expanded (more than 40 new report templates added)
- Added: Settings for iOS devices running latest iOS versions
- Added: New task types – Diagnostic (enable diagnostic mode / log collector generation) and Send File to ESET Dynamic Threat Defense
- Added: You can create Notifications on new event types (blocked files, etc.) with advanced filtering options
- Added: You can resolve “resolvable” actions with one click such as to activate, reboot, update OS, or various protection issues (for instance, to re-enable protection features) and additional “Search the web” function will open Google with the specific error value (always containing ESET and respecting the language of the error)
- Added: Ability to allow “local lists” on Endpoint clients with the result to have merged values from configured policies and locally specified entries (when local lists are enabled, values are no longer read-only for the local administrator)
- Added: You can edit multiple notifications at once (define users / enable / set timezone / set monitored static group)
- Added: You can enable / disable notification(s)
- Added: You can open “Behaviors” for the files submitted to EDTD (with the ability to configure sensitivity of detection in ESET products via policies)
- Added: Ability to specify a monitored static group to filter out computers based on the static group membership
- Added: Proactive notification about “new version of ESMC server is available” and suggested steps
- Added: Support for Subscription licenses
- Changed: ERA Proxy is discontinued in ESMC. ESMC has a new replication protocol with the usage of “EPNS” (ESET Push Notification Service) and multicast support for WOL. New protocol no longer requires “ESMC Proxy” for agents – server communication caching. Upgrade with caution by following the Online Help instructions: Upgrade infrastructure with ERA 6.5 Proxy
- Changed: “Deploy agent” screen, with simpler options, and the ability to generate installers
- Changed: New client details view with clickable tile elements that each shows different information related to info / hardware & OS / status / products & licenses / users
- Changed: New layout of the “Reports screen” and ability to generate reports and add report templates with one click
- Changed: Policy details showing “Assigned to” that combines computers / groups and “Applied on” (that is, applied targets)
- Changed: Redesigned quick links and help links
- Improved: “Add new computer” wizard for computers / mobile devices with the ability to initiate the “AD sync” task from computers directly as well as support for “device owner” enrollment for Android 7 devices
- Improved: “Context-sensitive context menus” do not show invalid options
- Improved: “Show preview” displays the content that is available in the ESMC Database
- Improved: Alert (problem) details are reported from the supported security products Endpoint version 7, version 7 server products and all future business products to be released
- Improved: Behavior change of the “Threats section” where threats are automatically marked as resolved in ESMC
- Improved: Better tooltips showing accurate license usage
- Improved: Completely new and redesigned notifications section with many new notification templates available by default
- Improved: Dashboard reports visualizations with numbers shown in the aggregated charts and color adjustments
- Improved: Enhanced search allows a search for “Assigned users”
- Improved: Mobile-centric client details are available for mobile devices with mobile-specific content (locate / open map, etc.)
- Improved: More explanations added to “Display Message” task and “Security Management Center Infrastructure Upgrade” task
- Improved: Installed applications now allows you to update with one click
- Improved: The ability to locate threats detected by the same scan and to drill down from scan reports to threats, and vice versa
- Improved: Redesigned line charts including correct “0” values reporting to make any line chart more readable and accurate
- Improved: Mirror tool allows creation of offline repository only for selected products and language versions
- Improved: Mobile Device Connector is more robust and secure
- Improved: More conditions and improved creation wizard for the Dynamic Group templates such as renamed conditions and the ability to prefill values from the database
- Improved: More details about update settings in ESMC Server settings
- Improved: New layout for wizard elements allows simpler navigation, more clean identification of missing element and also simpler navigation by buttons
- Improved: New self-monitoring alerts for ESMC reported in “Security Management Server” dashboard section
- Improved: New status overview with tiles design and suggestions about “External Services” status, “Questions” and “Invalid Objects” that all comprise the health monitoring center of ESMC
- Improved: New task creation wizard
- Improved: New user details with sections ALL
- Improved: Notifications are sent as HTML
- Improved: Notifications feature the new WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor, where you can configure the notification subject and body out of available variables within the ESMC DB
- Improved: Option to sync computer users from Active Directory accessible from the screen
- Improved: Ability to define “sequential database cleanup” for different types of logs (diagnostic / monitoring / audit / management / incident)
- Improved: Ability to use multicast addresses to initiate Wake On Lan
- Improved: Ability to initiate product activation task when selecting a license, with one click
- Improved: Products & Licenses navigates to details/products and licenses where more details are displayed about the license such as license type and seat name for the new ESMC compatible products
- Improved: Redesigned installer generation flow for all-in-one installers and more explanations about behavior
- Improved: Redesigned “Add licenses” wizard with added support for ESET Business Account and backward support for ESET License Administrator
- Improved: Redesigned anti-theft actions that support “Lost mode” switching for the iOS devices under Device Enrollment Program (DEP) and more descriptions added to explain the behavior of the task
- Improved: Redesigned filter bar with the option to remove / reset / save filter presets and “Category filter” moved to “Filters” section
- Improved: Restyled report creation wizard making it simpler to navigate
- Improved: The “Logs” section now includes tabs to display “Log Collector” where the download can be initiated from ESMC and a new section for “Diagnostic logs” allows you to initiate diagnostic mode
- Improved: Software installation task performs a pre-execution check and reports “Task failed” with additional details such as another install running, pending reboot, etc.
- Improved: When a scan is run on an endpoint and the scan includes all targets on the endpoint, all previously reported antivirus threats are automatically marked as resolved
- Improved: All-in-one installer now allows you to select only the Agent when creating a new package
- Many minor fixes and performance and stability improvements